Sunday, December 28, 2008

Super Scary Spider Cake

Halloween this year was extremely hectic.  I'd spent the previous two weeks volunteering 15+ hours a day for a presidential nominee's campaign, but I'd promised to make a cake for a friend's Halloween party and so I carved out some time to do so.  An extremely cute boy who was going to be in attendance at this party requested "a giant spider cake eating a bunch of smaller cakes with its hands".  I'd like to think I achieved his vision:

 
I was totally exhausted and I felt a bit guilty spending a lot of time making a cake from scratch when my candidate needed me, so I cheated.  The red velvet cake was made from box mix and the chocolate fudge frosting was from a tub.  I made the eyes and pincers out of fondant, and the legs were chocolate fudge Pirouette wafers held together with toothpicks, fondant, and frosting.  All told it took me about five hours to make the cake - four hours to bake the cakes and make the legs, eyes, and pincers, and another hour to frost and assemble.

Here's a pic of me in my Halloween costume with my roommate:

Only one person at the party was able to come close to identifying it.  I was a cross between myself and The Son of Man.  Many thanks to my awesome artist roommate for making the foamboard cupcake!

P.S.  I think the cute boy liked the cake.  We started dating a few days later =)

No comments: